Welcome to our Parish
Tamborine Mountain Parish is located west of the Gold Coast and within the eastern boundary of the Scenic Rim Regional Council. It is approximately one hour’s drive from Brisbane, 40 minutes from the Gold Coast beaches, and 30 minutes from Beaudesert, the administrative centre for the Regional Council. The Parish includes the localities of:
- TamborineMountain (4272) – incl. Eagle Heights, North Tamborine, Mount Tamborine
- Tamborine (4270)
- Canungra (4275) – incl. Boyland, Biddaddaba, Wonglepong, Benobble, Sarabah, Lamington National Park, Witheren, Ferny Glen, Flying Fox, Illinbah
- Beechmont (part of 4211) – incl. Binna Burra.
Tamborine Mountain is a plateau measuring about 8km by 5km and is roughly 550m above sea level. The area was opened to selection in 1875. Due to difficulties accessing the mountain, its population remained small until the early 1900s. From1918 to 1925, rapid land subdivision occurred including the 1920 – 1921 creation of North Tamborine and Eagle Heights. The area is noted for its rich volcanic soil which sustains both the native vegetation and introduced crops such as avocados, rhubarb, kiwi fruit, lychees, tamarillo and flower plantations. Nine National Parks conserve remnants of the original rainforests and eucalypt forests, preserve the habitats of native animals, and provide easy gradient walking tracks. The area is a major tourist attraction especially at week ends and there are numerous crafts/souvenir shops, eating places and accommodation. The area is a popular place for retirement.
Tamborine village (originally spelt Tambourine) developed in the 1870s around a store, post-office and St Mary’s chapel. It was the administrative centre for the former Tambourine Shire. The railway line to Canungra which opened in 1915 also passed through the village. Tamborine is now a rural residential community.
Canungra was not formally surveyed until 1915; however a settlement developed in the 1880s around the Lahey Brothers’ Sawmill. The town also served emerging communities at Beechmont and TamborineMountain after the Canungra Branch Railway opened in 1915. The military area now known as the Kokoda Barracks was established in 1942. Canungra still retains its village atmosphere and is the entry point to the LamingtonNational Park and a popular weekend venue for paragliders, hangliders and motorcyclists.
Beechmont – In the 1870s timber getters and selectors worked their way up the NerangRiver to BeechMountain. Small-scale sawmilling developed in the twentieth century and dairy farms were established on the slopes of BeechMountain in 1925. Tourism was also important with cabins available at Binna Burra Mountain Lodge from 1933. Beechmont has retained its rural identity and is popular for weekend drives and visits to Binna Burra.
The Anglican Parish of Tamborine Mountain was originally part of the Beaudesert Parish. In 1987 it was established as a separate Mission District, and since 1991 it has been a non-beneficed Parish.
The Vicar in Charge of the Mission District was Rev. Leslie Duncan. In 1990 the Venerable H. St. John Edwards was appointed Priest-in-Charge. He retired in 1995. The Rev. Dr. Murray Harvey was commissioned as Priest-in-Charge in December 1995. He resigned from the position in April 2002 to take up an appointment in England. The Rev. Shan Vierow was inducted as Priest-in-Charge from June 2002 until June 2005. The Rev. Allan Paulsen was Priest-in-Charge from October 2007 to December 2012. Our present priest-in-charge is Archdeacon Valerie Hoare who was commissioned on the 7th June 2013.
There are two centres of worship in the Parish.
- St. George’s Anglican Church 2 Dapsang Tamborine Mountain Qld. (Saturday 5.30pm & Sunday 9.30am)
- St. Luke’s Anglican Church 15-21 Kidston Street Canungra Qld. (Sunday 7.45am)
- Hall On Graceleigh Beechmont. Qld ( First Sunday of the Month 10.30am)
Services have been held on TamborineMountain since 1900 and the original St. George’s church was built on the present site in 1938. The present St. George’s church was constructed and consecrated in 1992 and was the result of a bequest from a parishioner, Miss Jean Dunlop who died in 1990. The old church is now the church hall.
Parishioners from TamborineVillage at the northern base of TamborineMountain worship at St George’s.
Services have been held in Canungra since 1908 and St. Luke’s church was constructed debt free and dedicated in 1936. St. Luke’s was consecrated at its 75th anniversary in 2011.
Until 1987, Beechmont was part of the Southport Parish. Services were held in the local school until an agreement in 1990 with the Nerang Roman Catholic Parish led to services being held in St. John’s Worship Centre and during the mid 2010’s in the Hall on Graceleigh.
A home service is now held on the first Tuesday of each month at 10.00am. Phone the Parish for the location.